School is back in session (or will be soon)! Looking for a great take-along treat for lunch boxes, those after-school practices, weekend games and tailgate parties? Our Caramel Layer Choco-Squares combine bakers’ favorites: chocolate chips and nuts, and a fall favorite: caramels. In fact, it’s a delicious treat to offer all autumn long and right through the Christmas season!
CARAMEL LAYER CHOCO-SQUARES*
Makes about 36 bars
– 1 (14-oz.) bag caramels
– 2/3 c. evaporated milk, divided
– 1 box Pillsbury German Chocolate cake mix
– 3/4 c. butter, melted
– 1 c. nuts, chopped
– 1 c. chocolate chips
1. In top of double boiler, combine caramels and 1/3 cup of milk. Cook over hot water, stirring until caramels are melted. Set aside. Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch pan.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, butter and 1/3 c. milk. Add nuts. Stir by hand until dough holds together. Press 1/2 dough into pan. Reserve remaining dough for topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
3. Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked crust. Spread caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble reserved dough over caramel mixture. Return to oven and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
4. Cool slightly. Refrigerate about 30 minutes to set caramel layer. Cut into about 36 bars.
submitted by Sherri Boulton
*excerpted from “Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites” staff cookbook
Love all things chocolate? Indulge yourself with a peek at our selection at bronners.com.