Luscious layers of crisp apples dressed in warm hints of cinnamon are tucked in between blankets of fluffy, golden cake in this delicious recipe. “Tell me more … ” you say?
When we were looking for dishes to make to highlight our Flavorful Favorites Cookbook, 2nd Edition, this recipe had us at “Cake!” Who doesn’t love cake?! (Except the one “oddball” in the office whom we will not name, we still love her!) But better yet, cake enveloped in the sweetness of fall’s plentiful fruit?! Oh, yasss!!!
We knew this cake was going to be a winner right from the batter!
BUT IN ALL SERIOUSNESS …
Shenanigans aside, Fall is a great time of year for so many reasons. Michigan’s landscapes are painted with warm hues from changing leaves. Apple orchards are abuzz with hay-rides, warm donuts and fresh hot cider. Pumpkins of all shapes, sizes and colors dot the farm fields with promising potential for carving, decorating or baking! (Did you catch our last post on pumpkin squares?) All of this means that THANKSGIVING is not far behind!
We love that Thanksgiving is a time for many to pause and reflect on their blessings! Did you know that Thanksgiving is one of only 4 days out of the year that Bronner’s is closed? The Bronner family wishes for all of their staff to be able to enjoy time with family and friends.
In the spirit of gratitude and making memories, which is something we love to do at Bronner’s, we share this quick DIY to make your place settings a little extra special this Thanksgiving or any other holiday. (Can we also add that personalizing these keepsakes and making them “just because” would also be a fun way to participate in the “Random Acts Of Kindness” movement?!)
*We apologize for the audio malfunction. Please use caution when filling your clear glass ornaments. Available online in two different sizes: Large, 3 1/4″ clear Glass Ornament Set Of 4 or our smaller, 2 5/8″ Glass Ornament Set Of 8
Be sure to check out Bronner’s entertaining board on Pinterest for more ideas!
And because you’ve been so good and waited, now … DESSERT!
APPLE COFFEE CAKE
– 1 apple*, peeled, cored and chopped
– 1/2 c. nuts, chopped (optional)
– 2 tsp. cinnamon
– 1 1/2 c. sugar (1/2 c. divided)
– 1/2 c. butter
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 2 c. flour
– 1 tsp. baking powder
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. baking soda
– 1 c. sour cream
1. Mix together apple, nuts, cinnamon and 1/2 c. sugar. Set aside.
2. Cream butter with remaining 1 c. of sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
4. Combine the dry ingredients from step 3 with the wet ingredients from step 2. Add sour cream.
5. Pour half of the butter mixture into a well greased tube* or cake pan. Top with half of the apple-cinnamon mixture.
6. Repeat with remaining cake batter and apple mixture.
7. Bake at 375° F for about 40 minutes.
8. *If using a tube pan, allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
*submitted by Kathleen Frank
Look at that beautifully caramelized cinnamon!
Yup, it was even batter than we imagined!
WHAT ARE YOUR TIPS?
In what ways do you make your family gatherings special? Please share your personal touch with us in the comments below!